Over the years, more people are checking into church-sponsored rehab facilities, realizing that the interpersonal connectedness and compassion within these institutions is beneficial to their recovery. This is because Church rehab programs focus on Christ and the transforming power of the scriptures as the addict’s primary source of strength and inspiration for overcoming addiction.
The Christian drug rehab program gives the addict hope that he or she can rise from the ashes and start life afresh. These programs offer almost the same four-step process as other programs, as listed below:
Step 1: Patient Assessment
- Each patient undergoes a complete physical and medical evaluation so that the clinicians at the facility can develop the most appropriate course of treatment. This assessment also considers family history, the severity of addiction, substance being abused, and evidence of mental or medical health issues.
Step 2: Detox
- The length of the detox process will depend once again on the substance abused, and whether the body has become dependent on it. If the body is dependent on the substance, the withdrawal process may be very intense and even life-threatening. In extreme cases, the medical staff at the institution may be forced to use medication to ease the symptoms.
Step 3: Addiction Treatment
- At this point, individual or group counseling, and behavioral therapy are introduced. The behavior and thinking patterns that ‘fuel’ the addiction are dealt with, and tools to help cope with the temptations and triggers are given to the addict. The 12-step program is often introduced at this point.
Step 4: Aftercare
- Before leaving the Christian drug rehab, the recovering addict and the resident therapist sit down and come up with a strategy to enable long-term recovery. The recovery process may require treatment at an outpatient facility, joining a Christian support group, starting the 12-step program, or going for individual therapy.
What sets Church Rehab programs apart from other programs?
- Church programs offer spiritual guidance and support for the recovery process.
- There is always a priest, pastor or religious mentor within the facility to offer spiritual guidance.
- These programs help the addict build a closer relationship with God, through which he or she can gather the strength to stay clean/sober.
- There is a strong emphasis on healthy living and right living i.e., living for God.
Advantages of Church Rehab Programs
- Emphasis on Spiritual Recovery
- Individuals are taught to frame their lives on Christ’s teachings, and not their own desires. There is a new sense of purpose that results from this approach, as addicts no longer live for themselves, but for Christ.
- Emphasis on Service to Others
- The Christian drug rehab program encourages addicts to stop focusing on themselves and their problems, and instead focus on helping people in need. They are encouraged to visit the homeless, children’s homes, old people’s homes and terminally ill patients.
- Increased Focus
- The recovering addict is encouraged to join the church, get involved in ministry, and to share his or her testimony with other members of the church who may be struggling with substance abuse.
- Availability of Fellowship and Support Groups
- Within the church rehab setting, the addict is never alone. There is always someone to share with and to be accountable to.
- Introduction to a New Way of Life
- The Christian rehab program introduces the addict to a new way of life, one that places Christ at the center of his or her life. As a result, the addict gains the motivation to start a new way of life, knowing the God is there to walk with him.
Church rehab programs are ideal for those who are tired of addiction and are ready to follow a religious path as they deal with the habit. If the addict commits fully to the course of action and submits wholly to Christ, he or she will most certainly be free of addiction and be on the path to a new life.